If you’re an author looking to self-publish your book on Amazon, you’re probably familiar with Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing). Amazon KDP is a platform that allows authors to publish and sell their books on Amazon. But to be successful on Amazon, you need to know how to optimize your book’s keywords. In this article, we’ll explain all about Amazon KDP keyword research and how you can use it to improve your book’s visibility and sales.
What is Amazon KDP?
Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) is a self-publishing platform that allows authors and publishers to upload their books – ebooks, paperback books, hardcover books, and even audiobooks – and make them available for sale on Amazon’s Kindle store. With KDP, authors can publish and distribute their eBooks and paperbacks worldwide, and earn royalties on the sales of their books.
KDP offers a range of tools and resources to help authors prepare and format their books for publication, including templates, cover design tools, and formatting guides. Once the book is ready, authors can upload their manuscript, set the price, and choose distribution options. KDP also provides reports and analytics to help authors track their sales and royalties.
In addition to self-publishing eBooks and paperbacks, KDP also offers several other programs, including Kindle Unlimited, which allows readers to access a library of books for a monthly fee, and Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, which allows Amazon Prime members to borrow eBooks for free.
Overall, Amazon KDP provides a simple and accessible platform for authors and publishers to publish and distribute their books to a global audience, with the potential to earn royalties on sale
What is Amazon KDP Keyword Research?
Amazon KDP keyword research is the process of identifying the best keywords to use in your book’s title, subtitle, and description to help readers find your book on Amazon. Keywords are the search terms that readers use to find books on Amazon, and by using the right keywords, you can improve your book’s visibility and sales.
Why is Niche Keyword Research Important?
Amazon is a highly competitive marketplace, with millions of books available for readers to choose from. By using the right keywords, you can make sure your book stands out from the crowd and is visible to the right audience. Good keyword research can also help you optimize your book’s description and improve its chances of appearing in Amazon’s search results.
How Do You Conduct Amazon KDP Keyword Research?
Here are the steps you need to follow to do Amazon KDP keyword research:
- Brainstorm potential keywords: Start by brainstorming potential keywords that are relevant to your book. Think about the main themes and topics of your book and come up with a list of words and phrases that readers might use to search for books like yours.
- Use Amazon’s search bar: Use Amazon’s search bar to see what keywords are popular for books in your genre. Type in a few keywords related to your book and see what suggestions come up. These suggestions can give you an idea of what readers are searching for and what keywords you should consider using.
- Use Amazon’s Keyword Tool: Amazon’s Keyword Tool is a free tool that allows you to see how many times a keyword has been searched for on Amazon. This tool can help you identify high-traffic keywords that you can use in your book’s title, subtitle, and description.
- Analyze Your Competitors: Look at the books that are similar to yours and see what keywords they are using in their title, subtitle, and description. This can give you an idea of what keywords are working well in your genre and what keywords you should consider using.
- Refine your list: Once you have a list of potential keywords, refine it by choosing the keywords that are most relevant to your book and have the highest search volume. Use these keywords in your book’s title, subtitle, and description to improve its visibility and sales.
Amazon’s Best Practices for Keyword Research
Relevant keywords can boost your placement in search results on the Amazon Store. Here are some of Amazon KDP’s best practices when it comes to doing keyword research for your book:
- Combine keywords in the most logical order. Customers search for “military science fiction” but probably not for “fiction science military”
- Use up to seven keywords or short phrases. Keep an eye on the character limit in the text field
- Before publishing, search using keywords you’re considering on Amazon. If you get irrelevant or unsatisfying results, make some changes. When searching, look at the suggestions that appear in the “Search” field drop down
- Think like a reader. Imagine how you’d search if you were a customer
Amazon KDP keyword research is an essential step in self-publishing your book on Amazon. By doing keyword research, you can identify the best keywords to use in your book’s title, subtitle, and description to improve its visibility and sales. Follow the steps outlined in this article to conduct effective Amazon KDP keyword research and give your book the best chance of success on Amazon.
Interested in Learning More About Self-Publishing on Amazon KDP?
Looking for Additional Reading?
- IngramSpark Vs KDP: What Are The Key Differences?
- 21+ Amazon KDP Low-Content Book Ideas
- BISAC Codes And Amazon KDP
- 11 Reasons Why RDNs Need To Self-Publish On Amazon KDP
- All About Low Content Books [Amazon KDP]
- How To Create Amazon A+ Content For Books
- Understanding KDP Book Printing Costs
- KDP Book Sizes: How To Select The Right One
- ISBNs For eBooks: Do You Need One?
- All About Barcodes For Books
- How To Gift An eBook On Amazon
- What Is Amazon KDP Expanded Distribution?
- How To Get Your Book Noticed On Amazon