If you’re a self-published author looking to sell your books on Amazon, it’s important to understand how Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) earnings work. Amazon KDP is a platform that allows authors to publish and sell their books on Amazon, and earn royalties from book sales. However, the royalty rates and earnings vary depending on the format of the book – ebooks and print books have different royalty rates and calculations. In this article, we’ll provide a breakdown of Amazon KDP earnings for both ebooks and print books, and share some tips to help you maximize your earnings as a self-published author on Amazon.
Here’s a breakdown of Amazon KDP earnings for ebooks and print books:
For ebooks, Amazon KDP offers two royalty rate options: 35% and 70%.
- 35% royalty rate: If an author chooses the 35% royalty rate, they earn 35% of the book’s list price, minus delivery costs.
- 70% royalty rate: If an author chooses the 70% royalty rate, they earn 70% of the book’s list price, minus delivery costs, in certain markets. To qualify for the 70% royalty rate, the ebook must be priced between $2.99 and $9.99, meet certain requirements for file size and content, and be enrolled in KDP Select.
Print Book Royalties
For print books, Amazon KDP offers a fixed royalty rate, which is calculated based on the list price of the book and the printing cost. The printing cost depends on the book’s page count, trim size, and paper type.
The royalty rate for print books is either 60% or 40%. See below for details:
- KDP offers a fixed 60% royalty rate on paperbacks sold on Amazon marketplaces where KDP supports paperback distribution. Your royalty is 60% of your list price. We then subtract printing costs, which depend on page count, ink type, and the Amazon marketplace your paperback was ordered from
- If you enable Expanded Distribution, the royalty is 40% of the book’s list price effective in the distribution channel at the time of purchase minus printing costs.
5 Tips for Maximizing Your Amazon KDP Earnings
No matter which format you choose, here are some tips to help you maximize your Amazon KDP earnings:
- Price your book strategically: Price your book competitively by researching the prices of similar books in your genre.
- Enroll in KDP Select: Enrolling in KDP Select can help you reach more readers and increase your earnings.
- Use Amazon Advertising: Use targeted ads to increase your book’s visibility and sales, which can translate into higher earnings.
- Optimize your book’s metadata: Improve your book’s visibility and searchability on Amazon by optimizing its metadata.
- Build a loyal readership: Engage with your readers through social media and email newsletters, and encourage them to leave reviews and recommend your book to others.
Amazon KDP can be a valuable platform for self-published authors to sell their books and earn royalties. Understanding how Amazon KDP earnings work for both ebooks and print books is crucial for maximizing your earnings as a self-published author.
By choosing the right royalty rate, pricing your book strategically, and utilizing tools such as Amazon Advertising and KDP Select, you can increase your book’s visibility and reach more readers on Amazon.
Remember to optimize your book’s metadata and engage with your readers to build a loyal fan base. With these tips in mind, you can make the most out of Amazon KDP and turn your self-published book into a success story.
Interested in Learning More About Self-Publishing on Amazon KDP?
Looking for Additional Reading?
- IngramSpark Vs KDP: What Are The Key Differences?
- 21+ Amazon KDP Low-Content Book Ideas
- BISAC Codes And Amazon KDP
- 11 Reasons Why RDNs Need To Self-Publish On Amazon KDP
- All About Low Content Books [Amazon KDP]
- How To Create Amazon A+ Content For Books
- Understanding KDP Book Printing Costs
- KDP Book Sizes: How To Select The Right One
- ISBNs For eBooks: Do You Need One?
- All About Barcodes For Books
- How To Gift An eBook On Amazon
- What Is Amazon KDP Expanded Distribution?
- How To Get Your Book Noticed On Amazon